Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Classroom Management

1) Plan curriculum ahead of time-over the summer I plan to do a lot of long-term planning. 2) Post rules and give consequences. 3) Enforce consequences for behavior-be consistent. 4) Go over expectations for students and their artwork. 5) Establish a routine. 6) Organize classroom in an understandable and user-friendly way. 7) Label everything in the classroom that students can or cannot use or have access to. 8) Post a sign saying Artists... -are good listeners -follow directions -use time wisely and complete their work -make creative choices that make their work unique -learn techniques and skills -work with the elements of art and principles of design I plan to create an effective classroom management plan by a simple set of rules and consequences that are printed and displayed in the art room. Van Gogh rarely used more than six colors on his palate. Like Van Gogh’s simple color palette my management plan does not need to be elaborate or complex. I have only the power to influence behavior by creating a classroom that my students want to be a part of and then strictly hold them accountable. I want my classroom management plan to be a contract made between my students and I that promises I will protect their right to learn and enjoy school. Once the plan is established by my students and myself by writing it together, and presenting it in class, we are bound by the contract. I need to follow it every minute of every day without exception. If I do not follow it, I am breaking my word and my students’ trust. The classroom management plan has two purposes-to state the rules of the classroom and to state exactly what will happen if those rules are broken. I do not want to include a system of rewards and incentives, because if I want really focus on behavior then I will only focus on the rules and consequences. The rewards and incentives in a short term solution that may get me through the day but it won’t actually change the behavior of my students. ! I will follow the plan of the following rules that cover every behavior that could interfere with learning and the enjoyment of the class and the consequences-if consistent will teach valuable life lessons. Rules: 1. Listen and follow directions. 2. Raise your hand before speaking or leaving your seat. 3. Keep your hands and feet to yourself. 4. Respect your classmates and your teacher. Consequences: 1st time a rule is broken: Warning-They choose a 1 or 2, 1 is they will change their behavior and 2 is they will go to the office or the principal 2nd time a rule is broken: They get a 2 which means they go to the office or the principal 3rd time a rule is broken: Letter Home 4th time a rule is broken: A meeting with parents and student with the teacher and the principal A classroom management plan, on its own, will provide little motivation for students to behave. Its usefulness is how it is implemented, enforced and carried out. For example, how I communicate with my students, the respect/leverage I have with them and how much they enjoy being a part of my classroom. I will make my classroom exciting and creative so that my students would want to be a part of class and dare not disrupt it. The rules and consequences will be displayed on two large poster boards with rules on one and consequences on the other. They should be displayed as serious and sacred as they are to the classroom. They will be put up on a wall where every one that enters the classroom will know that behaving in a manner that is most conducive to learning is a priority in my classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment